This is just a little blog about my trial and error of decorating an apartment where painting is not allowed, I can't knock out walls, or do any permanent changes to the apartment. Me and my 2 cats have figured out a few ways to make big impact changes without major costs and always manage to get the full security deposit back!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

DIY Pelmet Boxes

I was very inspired by this pelmet box tutorial at Little Green Notebook. I'm impressed with how little effort it took her because it took me from 5:00pm to 1:00am last night to put my own together (but totally worth it!) . So kudos to her!

Here are the BEFORE pictures of my windows.


I was going to use ribbon to accent the box like she did, but I didn't realize (or look at) how much ribbon is actually on a roll. I ended up with 9 feet of ribbon and needed approximately 28 feet. Needless to say, I was a little short!

But necessity is truly the mother of invention, I thought maybe I'd use a marker to outline the pattern I wanted but when I touched the marker to a test piece of fabric it bled all over the place. Till I figured out that black spray paint would work ( have I mentioned how much I love spray paint because I really do!) So I taped out the design I wanted.


Here are the AFTER pictures of my windows. Yes they are night pictures, because it was 1am when I finished!



I love how they turned out, I think they really add to my living room and finish off my windows perfectly!





This post was linked to:

8 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Those look fantastic...great job!

Lovely Little Nest said...

Wow! They really look great! Fabulous job :)

Delightful Dwelling said...

Those are gorgeous! I love your curtains too.

Roeshel said...

Oh Jennifer - they're gorgeous! Perfectly accent your beautiful drapes! Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade!

It's nice to "meet" you! :)

Roeshel

Unknown said...

Great way to finish off those beautiful curtains. Things are looking fabulous.

Stephanie said...

Those look amazing! What a huge difference they made!!!

Alicia C said...

Wow that looks great!!! What did you use to make your pelmet box?? Where did you buy the material to make it again? You're so creative and it took only a few hours? Amazing look!

Alicia C said...

Wow that looks great!!! What did you use to make your pelmet box?? Where did you buy the material to make it again? You're so creative and it took only a few hours? Amazing look!